|Do you accept referrals?
Yes, we always welcome new patients to our office. Referring your family and friends is one of the greatest compliments we can receive.
|What do I do if I have an emergency when the office is closed?
If you have an emergency, please call our office number at 859-572-6700 and follow the instructions to contact our on-call doctor.
|I have a temporary crown in my mouth.
What should I do if it comes off or breaks?
When a temporary crown comes off or breaks, damage to the remaining tooth structure is possible. Reattach the crown, if possible, using dental adhesive or toothpaste. Do not use super glue or any other adhesive not intended for use in the mouth. Then, call the office immediately so we can schedule an appointment to evaluate the damage.
|Do you use the old mercury amalgam fillings?
No, Dr. Story has not used the old silver fillings in over 10 years. We use the newer tooth colored fillings which do not have mercury in them.
|My child had an accident and his/her tooth has been
entirely knocked out. What do I do?
If your child's tooth is knocked out during office hours and there is no imminent medical emergency, please contact us at 859-572-6700 immediately. There is a chance we can replace the tooth if we see your child within the first hour. If possible, do not handle the tooth, just place it in liquid, preferably saline (contact lens solution) or milk. If those are not readily available, put the tooth in water. When you call, our office staff can advise you on the safest and most appropriate plan of action.
|How can I safely whiten my teeth?
Many of our patients ask about whitening their teeth. Since each mouth is unique, we need to evaluate your teeth to recommend a specific method. If your teeth are cracked, chipped, or discolored, Dr. Story may recommend some of our restorative services, such as veneers or bonding. Simple whitening agents are useful for most people. We can discuss which method will be best for you.
|My gums bleed when I brush/floss.
Is this something to be concerned about?
Yes, you should be very concerned about bleeding gums, especially if you haven't had a check-up in a while. Bleeding gums can be caused by a variety of things, from a leaky filling to gum disease. While it may seem harmless, bleeding gums can cause a variety of serious health problems. If your gums are bleeding, call us as soon as possible to schedule an appointment so we can analyze the cause.
|Do I have to floss every day? Is it really that important?
Yes. Brushing cleans about 80% of your teeth while flossing covers the remaining 20%. Although that seems like a small percentage, the area between the teeth, along the gum is where most of the major dental problems originate. That is why Dr. Story and her hygiene team believe that cleaning between the teeth is very important. When you come to our office, we will discuss the benefits of flossing and show you how to improve your technique.
|I want my front teeth to look straighter, but I do not want to
wear braces. What would be recommended?
There are a variety of ways to improve the appearance of your teeth without traditional braces. We offer Invisalign, which uses nearly invisible aligners to straighten your teeth. We may also recommend veneers, bonding, or a combination of cosmetic services to straighten your teeth. If you would like to enhance your smile, call us so we can schedule an appointment with Dr. Story. After listening to your goals and concerns, she can suggest ways to help you straighten your smile.
|What is Smile Analysis and Smile Design?
In a Smile Analysis, we look at all the factors that compose a smile; these include the shape of a smile, the size, the smile line, and the position of your teeth, lips, and gums when you smile. We listen to what you want to accomplish and any concerns you may have. Once we have this information, we can provide a custom Smile Design. This design helps form a blueprint for treatment. We will discuss our findings with you, and the next steps to make it happen.
|Do you accept my insurance plan?
Dr. Story never wants expense to prevent you from selecting the quality of care you desire and need. That is why we strive to maximize your insurance benefits and make any remaining balance easily affordable. We will gladly file your insurance claim for you. If you have any questions regarding your insurance benefits, please don't hesitate to call our office. We are always happy to discuss insurance and financing with you.
|What different payment options do you provide?
Our fees are based on the high quality materials we use and our extensive experience and care in performing the treatment you need. We accept cash, check, and credit cards including Master Card, Visa, Discover or American Express. If you have extensive or long-term dental care needs, our office offers financial assistance through CareCredit, an outside financing company with competitive interest rates.